- The National Portrait Gallery’s upcoming exhibition, Pre-Raphaelite Sisters, opens on 17 October 2019 and forms the backdrop to the Making Art conference.
- Kirsty Stonell Walker, one of our keynote speakers, has been keeping a blog, The Kissed Mouth, since 2011. It contains a wealth of careful research and curious anecdotes – recommended background reading for the conference!
- Read about Kirsty’s extraordinary discovery of the grave of Fanny Cornforth (Sarah Cox) on the Guardian!
- The Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood blog, maintained by Stephanie Graham Pina. See also Stephanie’s sister blog about Elizabeth Siddall.
A selection of publications – by no means comprehensive! – which explore the lives and works of the women in the Pre-Raphaelite circle, in chronological order:
- Deborah Cherry and Griselda Pollock, ‘Woman as Sign in Pre-Raphaelite Literature: A Study of the Representation of Elizabeth Siddall’, Art History, vol. 7, no. 2 (June 1984), pp. 206–27.
- Jan Marsh, Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood (1985).
- Jan Marsh, Jane and May Morris: A Biographical Story, 1839–1938 (1986).
- Jan Marsh, The Legend of Elizabeth Siddal (1989).
- Jan Marsh and Pamela Gerrish Nunn, Women Artists and the Pre-Raphaelite Movement (1989).
- Jan Marsh, Elizabeth Siddal, Pre-Raphaelite Artist, 1829–1862 (1991), catalogue for the first retrospective of Siddall’s work at the Ruskin Gallery in Sheffield.
- Elizabeth Prettejohn, The Art of the Pre-Raphaelites (2000), Chapter 2, ‘Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood’.
- Kirsty Stonell Walker, Stunner: The Rise and Fall of Fanny Cornforth (2006).
- Suzanne Fagence Cooper, Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais (2012).
- Margaretta S. Frederick and Jan Marsh, Poetry in Beauty: The Pre-Raphaelite Art of Marie Spartali Stillman (2015), catalogue for the first retrospective of Spartali Stillman’s work at the Delaware Art Museum.
- Jan Marsh and Frank C. Sharp, eds., The Collected Letters of Jane Morris (2017).
- Anna Mason et al., May Morris: Arts & Crafts Designer (2017), catalogue for the exhibition of Morris’s designs at the William Morris Gallery.
- Susan Owens and Nicholas Tromans, eds., Christina Rossetti: Poetry in Art (2018), catalogue for the exhibition at the Watts Gallery.
- Serena Trowbridge, ed., My Ladys Soul: The Poems of Elizabeth Eleanor Siddall (2018).
- Kirsty Stonell Walker, Pre-Raphaelite Girl Gang: Fifty Makers, Shakers and Heartbreakers from the Victorian Era (2018).
Header image: Joanna Boyce Wells, Fanny Eaton, 1861. Oil on paper laid to linen, 17.1 x 13.7 cm. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund. Image courtesy Yale University Open Access policy: https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/vufind/Record/1666143